Can I sue the police department for false arrest and wrongful imprisonment?

An officer who detains an individual without just cause, depriving an individual of his or her freedom without sufficient reason or authority, can potentially be sued along with the police department.

If you ever find yourself in this situation, the first thing you should do is talk to a lawyer.